From Upstate New York, USA:

My five year old is scheduled to get the flu shot this year. Last year, she screamed unbearably. She remembers that and is very fearful of the upcoming shot. Can I use EMLA cream, which we use it to insert her Insuflon, to numb a spot and have them give the flu shot there? Will that work, or does the flu shot go too deep? I'd like her to get this shot without the trauma, as that always raises her blood sugar.

EMLA is typically fine to use for immunizations as well as blood draws. The injection may still be traumatic, but the EMLA should help.