Question:

From Fort Worth, Texas, USA:

I have been taking Lantus for about two years. I usually inject in my thighs, although sometimes it is more convenient to inject in my shoulders, in the deltoid muscle. I am now suffering from adhesive capsulitis, frozen shoulder. My doctor and my physical therapist consider this condition very rare for someone my age. I am fairly active and do not suffer any other joint maladies. Could the acid base in the Lantus be the cause of my shoulder trouble?

Answer:

Unlikely. It may be that the elevated blood sugars added to the adhesions that occur with the frozen shoulder. I would be careful about injecting the Lantus into the muscle itself. The insulin is designed to be absorbed from subcutaneous tissue.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Insulin Analogs