Question:

From Winneconne, Wisconsin, USA:

My three year old was just diagnosed with type 1 less then a month ago. I am still scared about everything, but my question and concern at this point are the back pain that she has. In the hospital, she told the doctor. that it was in her upper back, but that is not where she has pointed to me when I have asked her. She has repeatedly pointed to her left side just under her rib cage.

I am so worried that there is kidney damage. The specialist say it shouldn't be anything related to the diabetes because they think it is upper back, and I should talk to her pediatrician about it. I talked to her about it and she said to wait to see what happens when the sugar levels are under control. In the meantime, I wait with fear. I am trying to redirect the thought of the specialists I am working with, but I haven't gotten an answer yet. Is it normal for a newly diagnosed person to have back pain/kidney pain? Are my fears justified?

Answer:

The best way to determine the cause of her back pain is through your pediatrician. I would continue to seek their advice. It is exceedingly unlikely that this could represent kidney damage from diabetes.

Posted to Aches and Pains