From Palatka, Florida, USA:

My 10 year old daughter is 5 foot tall, 150 pounds. She has not yet been confirmed as having diabetes but, her blood pressure was a little high and, due to her weight, her pediatrician says that she is border line diabetic. He insists that she loses 10 pounds a month for the next five to six months. He then looked at her neck and, what I thought was a tan or dirt smudge, was a symptom of high sugar levels. Is it safe for a 10 year old with possible diabetes to lose that much weight? Have you ever heard of discoloration on someone's neck being a side effect to high blood sugar? What should my next step be?

Yes, it is safe to lose weight, but this should not be at the expense of a healthy balanced diet. Ask for dietary advice. Your doctor was looking for a condition known as "acanthosis nigricans, " which is a darkening and thickening of the skin mainly around the neck and under the arms which is associated with resistance to insulin and type 2 diabetes.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Diagnosis and Symptoms