Question:

From Alexander City, Alabama, USA:

My four and a half year old daughter is showing a lot of the signs of diabetes. I am concerned because she has a strong family history of hypoglycemia and type 2 diabetes. She is also very big for her age. She weighs 60 pounds. Most of this weight has been put on in the last few months. I have an appointment with her doctor for two weeks from now. Am I being overly concerned and paranoid? I just want another opinion.

Answer:

You have not said what your daughter's symptoms are, but it is very unusual to GAIN weight before a diagnosis of diabetes. You should discuss your concerns with her doctor soon.