Question:

From Chandler, Arizona, USA:

I am a type 1 diabetic. I've had concerns for my six year old son. His doctor states he is still too young to test for diabetes. Today, when eating a breakfast of eggs, bacon, pancakes, and chocolate milk, my son began to feel ill. His stomach hurt. I recognized this as a symptom of high blood sugar so tested him with my meter. The meter read 475 mg/dl [26.4 mmol/L]. Thirty minutes later, I tested him and he was down to 117 mg/dl [6.5 mmol/L] and thirty minutes after that he was 84 mg/dl [4.7 mmol/L]. Is this a sign of type 1 diabetes? How do I know what is out of the norm? I know 475 mg/dl [26.4 mmol/L] is very high, but can someone who is not diabetic raise to a high level temporarily?

Answer:

It sounds like a big breakfast and I wonder if you washed his hands before testing? If you continue to be worried, then you should consult your doctor for a urine test and formal blood testing, but what you describe is not typical of diabetes.

[Editor's comment: Please read Symptoms of Diabetes. If you suspect your son has diabetes and your doctor will not pursue testing, you should consider finding a doctor who will. Your son is not too young to have diabetes. BH]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hyperglycemia and DKA