Question:

From South Carolina, USA:

I have a two year old with all the signs of diabetes, including thirst, going to the bathroom, vomiting at least twice a week, and a yeast infection. She does not have an appetite, but she has not lost weight in a couple of months. About three months ago, she was losing weight, but has gained it back.

I have been checking her blood sugar at home and it has ranged anywhere from 76 to 291 mg/dl [4.2 to 16.2 mmol/L]. I have taken her to the doctor. They did an A1c, which they said was normal, but also said it may have showed some highs in the past. I am confused! We took her back. They did a fasting and another test two hours after she ate. The doctor said he felt okay in saying that she was not diabetic. Is there another test they can do to rule out diabetes? I'm just not at ease with what they have told me since she has so many symptoms. I am really worried and don't want anything bad to happen.

Answer:

Sometimes it isn't clear until all the glucoses are high. Ask them to check for islet cell antibodies and GAD antibodies.