Question:

From Elkton, Maryland, USA:

My son was born six weeks early and weighed six pounds. By his six month appointment, he was down to the third percentile for weight. He has continued to stay in the third percentile, despite our attempts to fatten him up.

He is now four years old and is very lethargic. He rarely plays outside and frequently complains that he is too tired. My mother and grandmother have type 2. I have had gestational diabetes.

I checked my sons glucose levels this morning one hour after eating cereal and milk with 25 grams of carbohydrates. His reading was 195 mg/dl [10.8 mmol/L]. Two hours after eating it was 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L].

I called the pediatrician's office, and they said it was normal for kids' blood sugars to go up after eating breakfast. I made an appointment to see the doctor anyway. Is it EVER normal for a kid to have a blood sugar of 195 mg/dl [10.8 mmo/L]?

Answer:

A blood sugar of 195 is not normal. It clearly is elevated. However, a blood sugar done on a hand held glucometer cannot be used to make a diagnosis of high blood sugars. A laboratory evaluation is necessary to look into your concerns. I would make sure to see a board-certified pediatrician that is familiar with working up high blood sugars.

[Editor's comment: Please review the Symptoms of Diabetes on our web site. BH]