Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

I have had type 2 diabetes for six months. I take metformin, 500 mg, once a day, at dinner time. My last A1c was 5.9% and I have managed to have overall good blood sugar control mostly with proper diet and regular exercises. Usually, I walk around three miles every morning and around two miles in the evening.

Even though, during the day, my sugar level has been very good, 120 to 130 mg/dl [6.7 to 7.2 mmol/L], two hours after breakfast, lunch or dinner and generally around 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] before lunch or dinner, my early morning reading is generally between 110 to 126 mg/dl [6.1 to 7.0 mmol/L]. This is despite the walks that I take mostly after dinner every day.

Do you think that I am going wrong anywhere?

Answer:

You are on a very low dose of metformin, which works best at lowering your "fasting" blood sugar, the blood sugar when you wake up in the morning. Ask your doctor if you could increase the metformin to 500 mg twice a day. Make sure you talk to your doctor about it. You may need to have some blood work checked first.

JS

Posted to Type 2 and Pills for Diabetes