Question:

From Silver Spring, Maryland, USA:

I would like to have a list of fruits that are good for diabetics to eat. I am trying to get pregnant and would like to incorporate fruit into my diet. Are there certain fruits with a low glycemic index (GI) value? If so, can you list them for me?

Answer:

Fruit is something that contains a wealth of vitamins and minerals, but contains 100% carbohydrate, no protein and no fat. Thus, most fruits have a higher GI value. Most fresh fruit tends to have a lower GI than juices or dried fruits, but not much lower. I would suggest you meet with a registered dietitian (RD) who can show you how much fruit can be worked into an individualized meal plan. It is just as important, if not more important, to have optimal blood sugar control before becoming pregnant with pre-existing diabetes, so I would strongly suggest a meeting with an RD.

JMS

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Pregnancy