Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from November 2004

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Since his flu, my 22 kg (49 pounds) son is taking 31 units of insulin a day. Is this a normal amount for his weight? When can I resume his usual lower dose? (30 Nov 2004)

2. My A1c was 4.0 during my first pregnancy. My doctor said that was too low, but the gynecologist said it was great. Should I strive for an A1c that low if I become pregnant again? (30 Nov 2004)

3. My son has had some of the symptoms of diabetes. He was 273 mg/dl [15.2 mmol/L], but dropped after playing football. Could the high reading have been caused by a sugary substance on his finger? He has a doctor's appointment on Monday. (28 Nov 2004)

4. Diagnosed with type 1 one and a half years ago, I have been having a lot of lows, so I reduced my Lantus and NovoLog and didn't have highs. Could there be another cause for this unexpected improvement or, do you believe it likely that I was misdiagnosed? (28 Nov 2004)

5. Despite following all the instructions, I am always getting air bubbles in the cartridges/tubing after loading them in my Deltec pump. Are others having this problem? (28 Nov 2004)

6. What kind of diet should I be following for insulin resistance? Is this something severe? I was just diagnosed. (28 Nov 2004)

7. Why does my son's blood sugar rise during the night? It does so even he does not eat a bedtime snack. (28 Nov 2004)

8. My daughter has some of the symptoms of type 1, but negative antibodies. Could she become antibody positive? How long until she meets the "diabetic diagnostic levels" of fasting or postprandial blood sugars? (28 Nov 2004)

9. When I had amniocentesis, a geneticist said my child would not be at risk for type 1, which her dad had. But, my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 recently. Did the geneticist make a mistake? Or, were there other factors that came about for her to get diabetes? (28 Nov 2004)

10. Is it possible to have impaired glucose due to a problem of insulin utilization? Are there tests to confirm this? Can it be reversed by weight loss? (27 Nov 2004)

11. My cat has steroid induced diabetes. How much does Albuterol raise blood glucose in general and for how long? My cat's blood sugars are quite high. I give him Lantus. (27 Nov 2004)

12. I recently went to the hospital for stomach and back pain. My blood sugar was elevated and I had a high urine count, so I was told to see a specialist about diabetes. Will changing my diet help? What can I do about my recurrent yeast infections? (27 Nov 2004)

13. After 21 years with diabetes, I've just switched to one shot of Lantus at bedtime. I'm 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L] lower in the morning. If I take less Lantus, my daytime blood sugars are high. What should I do? (26 Nov 2004)

14. At age 24 and after 12 years with type 1, I would like to have a baby. Can you tell me about what type of diet I should follow and what the risks are, etc.? (26 Nov 2004)

15. My doctor wants me to get diabetes counseling, watch my diet and monitor my blood sugars after reviewing my GTT results. Based on my research, I do not have gestational diabetes. Why am I considered "borderline?" (26 Nov 2004)

16. We are considering giving our daughters, one of whom has diabetes, vitamin D supplements. Could this possibly provide some additional protectiveness? (26 Nov 2004)

17. After six years with diabetes, my 14 year old daughter has an A1c of 13.3. Can she still prevent complications if she gets control now? How can I get her to take better care of herself? (26 Nov 2004)

18. My boyfriend recently had a urine test for diabetes and it was negative. Does that completely rule out diabetes? Is the urine test an accurate test? (26 Nov 2004)

19. Although I was participant in the DCCT and had great control at the time, I have developed quite a few maladies since I had a heart attack a year ago. I have almost given up. How can I get control of life and my diabetes? (24 Nov 2004)

20. Both my husband, his brother and their late father have/had diabetes. I am concerned about my two year old son who is drinking more and soaking his diapers. Is he at risk for diabetes? (24 Nov 2004)

21. After 17 years with diabetes, my daughter has recurrent problems with DKA. How do we prevent it from happening? (24 Nov 2004)

22. Diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 13, at age 20 I learned I did not have diabetes at all! Are there other cases of misdiagnosis? (24 Nov 2004)

23. As a teacher at a school in Thailand, I want to help introduce the students to healthier food choices. Where can I find relevant information? (24 Nov 2004)

24. Are there any herb, drug, vitamin, mineral or antioxidants that can gradually cure beta cell damage and the resulting diabetes? (24 Nov 2004)

25. I prefer to use a home test kit to test to test my daughter's A1c, but my insurance, Blue Cross, will not pay for it, saying it is "investigational." Why does it take insurance companies so long to keep up with technology? (24 Nov 2004)

26. Two years ago, a nutritionist said my daughter probably has hypoglycemia. How do I control it? (23 Nov 2004)

27. My nine year old son has been wetting his bed three times a week for the past several months. There's no correlation to his blood sugars and no UTI. Could it be related to the many changes he has incurred this year? (23 Nov 2004)

28. How can I get my son to eat more healthy foods? Is adolescence causing his higher blood sugars, around 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]? (23 Nov 2004)

29. How long after a child becomes unconscious/unresponsive does any type of brain injury begin? Does it occur as the child is in the process of going low? (23 Nov 2004)

30. I discovered that, for two months, my son's meter was not coded properly. His A1c went from 9% to 11.2%. Could the improper coding be the reason? (23 Nov 2004)

31. Is there any connection between the removal of tonsils/adenoids or vaccinations and type 1 diabetes? (23 Nov 2004)

32. My friend has hypoglycemia and often gets dizzy or collapses. What should he do when this happens? (23 Nov 2004)

33. My daughter has intermittent mild fevers, weight loss, spitting up of stomach acids, some blood in her vomit, frequent urination and thirst. Should I have her tested for diabetes? (22 Nov 2004)

34. Does the body self-correct for low blood sugars? My toddler grandson recently had a night terror during which his blood sugar was low. Could he have had other nighttime lows when he did not wake up? (22 Nov 2004)

35. Since changing from Synthroid to the generic levothroxine, my daughter's blood sugars are all over the place. Could it be from the change? (21 Nov 2004)

36. Are 'Free Radicals' or any chemicals created by strenuous exercise likely to damage the eyes of those with diabetes? (20 Nov 2004)

37. The high school principal has told my son that he will get a referral for detention if his blood sugar is over 240 mg/dl [13.3 mmol/L] like it has been twice, so far. How should I handle this? (19 Nov 2004)

38. Is it possible for a child's blood sugar to be low and high without having diabetes? (19 Nov 2004)

39. Where can I find information of diabetes and driving? I've had my permit and want my license, but my doctor doesn't want me to drive since I had two seizures last year. (17 Nov 2004)

40. My son has had some of the symptoms of diabetes so I took him to the doctor. His blood sugar was 96 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L] so the doctor would not do a GTT. I am worried. Do you have any suggestions? (17 Nov 2004)

41. I have a feeling of anxiety after I inject. Could this be an allergic reaction to the insulin, the preservative in the insulin or the Synthroid I take? (17 Nov 2004)

42. Is it possible for a diabetic to be unable to recognize a low blood sugar? How can a diabetic be unable to wake up during the night when they are low? How can I know when my husband is doing to have a "weird" reaction when low? (17 Nov 2004)

43. Can borderline diabetes be reversed by reducing and then maintaining a normal weight? Is there any research on obesity and pre-diabetes/borderline diabetes? (17 Nov 2004)

44. Since the end of his honeymoon phase, my son has had dry cheeks with reddish spots. What could this be? Are there skin conditions to which diabetic children are more prone? (17 Nov 2004)

45. My daughter has had stomachaches for two weeks. The doctor said it might be gastroparesis, a common complication of diabetes. What is gastroparesis? (17 Nov 2004)

46. My boyfriend and I both have type 1. What are the chances that our children would also have type 1? (17 Nov 2004)

47. My new doctor wants me to switch from Humalog to NovoLog. Is there any difference between the two? I don't want to change insulin. (17 Nov 2004)

48. Sometimes, when I do not have my meter with me, I feel cramps, dizzy, and lightheaded. Are these signs of high or low blood sugar? I was diagnosed with type 2 in August 2004. (16 Nov 2004)

49. Diagnosed with type 1 three weeks ago, I have begun to experience symptoms of neuropathy. How is this possible? Could I really have had type 2, perhaps for several years? Could it be unrelated to diabetes? (16 Nov 2004)

50. What are the cardiovascular complications of diabetes? At what age do they start to appear? What are the symptoms a person will notice first? (16 Nov 2004)

51. My young teen daughter has been having a lot of mood swings. Sometimes her blood sugars are fine, sometimes not. Is this common? (16 Nov 2004)

52. Diagnosed four months ago, my teen son has had protein in his urine. Is it common for children with diabetes to have unrelated kidney disorders? (16 Nov 2004)

53. Diagnosed with type 1 in the summer of 2003, my daughter was later said to have intermittent hyperglycemia. We are awaiting of the results of GAD testing for MODY 3. Should she have a GTT? Could she have hypoglycemia? (16 Nov 2004)

54. At birth, my son's blood sugar was only 15 mg/dl [0.8 mmol/L]. Because of this, could there be brain damage or problems of this nature that might not be detectable until later? (16 Nov 2004)

55. My daughter often complains about a sore stomach and it doesn't often matter what her blood glucose is. Is this type of pain common in kids with type 1? (16 Nov 2004)

56. Have there been any studies of how autism affects diabetes? When my son has autistic related mood swings, his blood sugars are high. (16 Nov 2004)

57. Recenty, I think I have developed ketones. Can they be eliminated with medication? Will I need insulin? I have type 2 and take Glucophage. (16 Nov 2004)

58. What are the signs of type 1 diabetes? Are children that are born to type 2 diabetic moms more prone to having type 1 diabetes? (16 Nov 2004)

59. My daughter has had some of the symptoms of diabetes and high blood sugars according to a home glucometer. Her doctor says high blood sugars are from food she has eaten. She was to have some tests run. Are the stomach cramps related to a diagnosis of diabetes or something else? (16 Nov 2004)

60. Just diagnosed in August 2004, my daughter has variable control. Would an insulin pump help with nighttime highs with a lower risk of hypoglycemia? At what age or length of disease is a child considered a candidate for a pump? (16 Nov 2004)

61. My son has been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Is there any known link to diabetes? If there is a connection, how can I prevent or delay its onset? (16 Nov 2004)

62. After my gastric bypass surgery seven months ago, I stopped all medications. But, after a recent root canal, my blood sugar was high. Could it have been from the medication I took for the root canal? (16 Nov 2004)

63. My wife was recently diagnosed with type 1. She takes NPH twice a day. She has been having trouble falling asleep, feeling "unstable" like when she's low. Do you have any suggestions? (15 Nov 2004)

64. Diagnosed 18 months ago, my teen son takes only Lantus, no insulin with food. He trains for fencing five days a week. Could the exercise be contributing to his low insulin requirement? Could he be in an extended honeymoon? (14 Nov 2004)

65. I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I am healthy and not overweight. Did I get this because of my family history? Should I get tested for type 1.5 or LADA? Should I see an endocrinologist at this point? (14 Nov 2004)

66. What are the consequences of using more insulin than one's TDD? I am concerned because I have heard you need to take more units of Detemir than Lantus. (14 Nov 2004)

67. Is there any link between in vitro fertilization and type 1 diabetes? (14 Nov 2004)

68. My teen son, diagnosed with type 1 four years ago, is non-compliant with all aspects of diabetes. Where can I find a chat room to talk with parents of older diabetics? (12 Nov 2004)

69. I've heard about a bag that contains a substance which freezes in contact with water and is used for transporting insulin. Who makes it and where can I get one? (12 Nov 2004)

70. My son's non-fasting blood sugar was 106 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L] at the doctor's office when I took him in for frequent urination. The doctor felt this was high. My son has no other symptoms so, what does this mean? (12 Nov 2004)

71. Does type 1 diabetes make it more difficult to go through chemotherapy or radiation? (12 Nov 2004)

72. Since giving birth, I have gained weight, despite efforts to lose it. Because I have hypothyroidism, is it possible I can develop diabetes? (12 Nov 2004)

73. My daughter's school is concerned about her lows, averaging one or two a day. Is she having way more episodes of hypoglycemia than average or normal? (12 Nov 2004)

74. What rights does my daughter have related to gym class participation? She gets so stressed out about showering that her blood sugars go over 600 mg/dl [33.3 mmol/L]. (12 Nov 2004)

75. Should my son be allowed to delay school tests or retake them if he is low at school? My son attends a Christian school. (12 Nov 2004)

76. When I feel low at school, I go to the nurse's office to test. Sometimes she's downstairs and I have to go get her. I feel this is too risky. What should I do? (12 Nov 2004)

77. In three years, I have reduced my A1c from 11 to 7.5 and I now want to have a baby. My doctor recommends that I reduce my A1c to 6-6.5 before conceiving. Would there be a significant reduction in risks by waiting for a lower A1c? (11 Nov 2004)

78. After 38 years with diabetes, I have only mild neuropathy in my feet. I have A1cs in the 8 to 9% range, in part, because of a severe low a few years ago. Should I be more aggressive to lower my A1c? (11 Nov 2004)

79. I give my young daughter frequent snacks to prevent outbursts that she has when apparently hungry. I suspect she might have hypoglycemia. Do you have any advice? (11 Nov 2004)

80. How do blood sugars affect behavior? Do they affect someone more when their blood sugar is low or when it's high? I am concerned about a student who has been disruptive and destructive, as well as refusing to check his blood sugar. (11 Nov 2004)

81. My son is thirsty, urinates a lot, is tired and has legs that ache. I cannot get my pediatrician to test my son for diabetes. Should I push for testing? (11 Nov 2004)

82. Using a home glucometer, my son has had several high blood sugars. He has many symptoms, but not weight loss. Should I take him to the doctor for testing? (11 Nov 2004)

83. My teen niece has a distended stomach and gets dehydrated. Is this common for someone with diabetes? (8 Nov 2004)

84. Where is a good place online to find a support group for mothers with diabetes? (8 Nov 2004)

85. I have a friend who cannot his diabetes supplies. Where can he get help? (8 Nov 2004)

86. My nine year old had an OGTT because of acanthosis nigricans and fluctuating blood sugars. One doctor diagnosed type 2, another reactive hypoglycemia. What do you think? (7 Nov 2004)

87. For the past five months, my son has been hospitalized four times for vomiting. He has lost 23 pounds and has undergone many tests, but there has been no diagnosis. What do you think? (7 Nov 2004)

88. Why does type 1 diabetes cause initial dehydration? What is the mechanism that causes excessive urination? (7 Nov 2004)

89. My son hasn't checked his blood sugar in six months and often injects an hour after eating. How can I convince him to take better care of his diabetes? (7 Nov 2004)

90. I have type 2 and my A1c is 6.5. My doctor says it is okay for me to conceive, but I am worried about those occasional 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] readings. Will they hurt my baby? Is it okay for me to have a baby because I am a diabetic? (6 Nov 2004)

91. Since his diagnosis 10 months ago, my son has used his buttocks or stomach for injections. When he tried his thighs, he immediately developed large bruises. His buttocks are also very bruised. Would a shorter needle, or adding a ring to the Inject-Ease help with the bruising? (6 Nov 2004)

92. I am a teacher with a six year old student recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He is often violent towards other students, defiant and non-complaint. His parents claim he behaves this way because of high blood sugars. Is this possible? (6 Nov 2004)

93. After my son received the flu mist vaccine, I read that it is not recommended for diabetics. Is this true? What harm might the mist have caused my son? Why didn't the doctor discuss this? (6 Nov 2004)

94. In May, I went into kidney failure and my sister died. I tried to commit suicide. My therapist feels I am unstable and my endocrinologist won't let me get a pump, despite my reduced A1c. Should I consult another endocrinologist? (6 Nov 2004)

95. Can I still have regular soda if a bolus for the carbohydrates? (6 Nov 2004)

96. What will a school need to consider when providing food for a seven year old boy with type 1 diabetes? (4 Nov 2004)

97. Where can I find software for my Macintosh computer that will enable me to analyze information from my son's LifeScan meter? (4 Nov 2004)

98. My teen son has been smoking marijuana with his mother's approval. Where can I get concrete information about the harmful effects of marijuana for someone with type 1 diabetes? His A1c has been around 12 for three years. (3 Nov 2004)

99. How can we determine the proper food and insulin for a recently diagnosed 13 month old who is on an insulin drip? (3 Nov 2004)

100. My daughter takes five and half units of Lantus daily, plus one unit of Humalog per 15 grams of carbohydrates. Is she still in her honeymoon? She had a "slight" reaction to wheat at her last test for celiac. If we alter her diet, will she still get celiac? (3 Nov 2004)

101. Is there any correlation between the diet in the first year of a child and the onset of diabetes? (3 Nov 2004)

102. My 16 year old daughter has all of the symptoms of diabetes except sudden weight loss. Should I rush to have her tested? (2 Nov 2004)

103. My dad has been admitted to the ICU in DKA after 10 years with diabetes. His blood sugar is now normal, but he is still out of it. Is that normal? Will he recover from this? (1 Nov 2004)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts