Question:

From Kentucky, USA:

My son has type 1 diabetes and, for the last two years, has had the flu mist, which goes through the nasal passages. This was with his doctor's approval, but this last time, afterwards, I was handed an informational brochure stating who should not get this flu mist and diabetics were one of them. Is this true? What is harmful about it if they had? The doctor explained to me that the flu mist has an all year protection rather than the three months with the flu shot and thought it to be better choice for my son. Shouldn't he have told me that it is not recommended for a person with diabetes?

Answer:

Children older than six months who have diabetes should receive the injected flu vaccine that should be available at your pediatrician's office or through a local community health center. The nasal-spray flu vaccine is approved for use only in healthy people between the ages of five and 49 years.

The CDC states that the following people should NOT receive the FluMist vaccine (the flu vaccine that is sprayed in your nostrils):

• People less than five years of age
  • People 50 years of age and over
  • People with a medical condition that places them at high risk for complications from influenza, including those with chronic heart or lung disease, such as asthma or reactive airways disease; people with medical conditions such as diabetes or kidney failure; or people with illnesses that weaken the immune system, or who take medications that can weaken the immune system.
  • Children or adolescents receiving aspirin
  • People with a history of Guillain-Barré syndrome, a rare disorder of the nervous system
  • Pregnant women
  • People with a history of allergy to any of the components of LAIV or to eggs