From Sydney, Australia:

I am a schoolteacher with a six year old type 1 diabetic student in my class. He has only been diagnosed in the last six months. Recently, he has been quite violent towards other students, very defiant and non-compliant when asked to do something. His parents have told the school and me that the violence is caused by his high blood sugar level reading, but I have a feeling that his condition is being used as an excuse. I know that when blood sugar levels are high, he can have some irregular behaviors, but I have not heard of violent behavior being one of them or am I wrong about this?

You are correct. High blood sugars never cause aggressive or violent behaviors. This young man may be angry with is diagnosis and/or angry with the daily demands of the illness. However, being angry is also not an appropriate excuse to engage in violent behaviors. I would encourage you to have a meeting at the school with the parents and a member of this young man's diabetes team to discuss how to care for his diabetes during the school day so that he can be successful in the classroom.

Posted to Behavior and Hyperglycemia and DKA