From Indianapolis, Indiana, USA:

I have a three year old daughter who has been showing some signs of what I think could be hypoglycemia. The biggest problem that we have is that she seems to be getting in trouble a lot in the afternoons at daycare. She is getting really, really mean for no reason. She turns into a very mean child. I have figured out that this is usually when she did not eat the snack that was provided or that she did not eat much of her lunch. I asked that the school give her extra snacks, especially if they see that she is not eating well.

I have been told that she is no longer getting into trouble as often and that she is a whole new child! I have also noticed this on the weekends, too. If she is hungry, she does not tell us, she just gets really whiny and cries a lot and becomes really mean. She will hit, yell, and throw the most horrible fits. If I give her something to eat, within about 10 minutes, she is a whole new child, just like it never happened. I have also noticed that her urine is a bit cloudy, but I do not know if that has anything to do with it or not. She has been potty trained for about three months, but still has the occasional accident at night. She did have "Delayed Stomach Emptying" when she was a baby. She was treated at Riley Hospital and has always been small and never a very good eater. I do try to give her good snacks and make sure she eats good meals. Could you give me some advice?

You are wise to have your daughter eat every few hours during the day. Young children have a smaller stomach, so they will require more frequent, but smaller meals. They also do not store as much sugar in the liver (as glycogen). This sugar is used between meals to keep blood sugar normal. A small child must eat more often.

If you think that she is experiencing hypoglycemia, please check with your doctor.