From Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes. I just started high school this year. My high school is pretty big, and when I'm low I don't like too walk far because it doesn't make me feel good. When I am low, I go to the nurse's office to check my blood sugar and I always take a shot before lunch. But, sometimes when I go to the nurse's office, there is a sign on the door that says she’s in a meeting down in the guidance office. That is all the way downstairs. Why should a diabetic have to walk downstairs, even with a buddy, to get the nurse and go back up stairs? I mean what if a kid with asthma had a asthma attack and she wasn't in her office that would be horrible and even for me, a diabetic, I don't want to have to walk downstairs to get her. I feel I would be putting myself at a huge risk of doing that. How should I approach her about this problem and talk to her about it?

This is an important issue and you should really talk with the school nurse. Maybe there are some other arrangements that you could make with her. You are right to be concerned about your safety during hypoglycemia.

You might think about having a formal plan spelled out with the school through a 504 health plan.

Posted to School and Daycare and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections