From Mound Valley, Kansas, USA:

What rights does my daughter have when it comes to participating in gym class? Does she have to participate when the thoughts of a shower STRESS her out so much her blood sugars soar to over 600 mg/dl [33.3 mmol/L]? We need advice on what steps to take to help her calm down and get her blood sugars down. The school is not budging. This is harming her health. I don't want to hear how great exercise is for her and how important gym class is. It must not be for her or her blood sugars wouldn't be so high.

Have you talked with the school counselor or the gym teacher? I wonder what concerns your daughter has that is making this so stressful? Is she being teased? Is she embarrassed ?

Managing her blood sugars may require adjusting her insulin, adjusting her meal plan, or participating in some stress management sessions with a counselor.

It is important that your daughter have a 504 plan at school to outline how to handle her diabetes. For more information, read Sample 504 and IEP Plans.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and School and Daycare