From Wellington, Florida, USA:

I have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid daily. I have recently given birth and am concerned because, despite vigorous efforts to lose weight, I have actually gained weight. I experience ALL of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I would like to know if it is possible that I can develop diabetes because of my thyroid problem. My grandfather on my mother's side was a diabetic.

The symptoms of hypothyroidism are nonspecific. If you are replaced on adequate medication, you may have symptoms from some other cause. It should be noted that patients who are on thyroid hormone during pregnancy experience an increase in their thyroid hormone requirements. These return to normal after delivery of the baby. Hypothyroidism does not give you diabetes. However, since you have a family history, you need to be periodically checked by your physician for diabetes.

Posted to Thyroid and Other