From Swampscott, Massachusetts, USA:

My friend's sister is 55 years old and has had type 1 for 30 or more years and does not practice great control. Recently, the woman with type 1 was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. She may be undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. My friend was curious as to whether or not having type 1 makes it more difficult to go through with chemotherapy and radiation. She has been trying to do research on the web but is not having much luck. Could you direct us somewhere or do you have any information you could share?

Having type 1 diabetes means having to be take exogenous insulin. This will be a difficult task for anyone during chemotherapy. First, the chemotherapy causes people to have nausea and decreases food intake. Changes will have to be made in insulin dosing to account for missed or smaller meals. Problems with wide fluctuations in blood sugars with highs and lows can be a real problem during any intercurrent illness associated with the chemotherapy.