From Decatur, Illinois, USA:

My five year old son of average height and weight has just been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. He had several episodes until I finally realized what was going on and took him to the pediatrician. I have started him on a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet and noticed a dramatic improvement.

Is there any known link to diabetes? My mom and a first cousin have type 1, and my dad's family all have type 2. I have found conflicting opinions on hypoglycemia being an early stage of diabetes. If there is a connection? Is there anything that I can do to prevent it or prolong the onset?

I'm not convinced there is a relationship between hypoglycemia and the early stages of type 1 diabetes in children.