From Metairie, Louisiana, USA:

I have had type 2 diabetes for four years. Within the four years, I had two children. My diabetes is controlled by diet only. But, when I was pregnant, I was on insulin.

My daughter was born in 2001 and my son was born in 2002. They are 14 months apart. My daughter grew very rapidly, but was healthy. My son grew normally and my blood sugar was great. Both were cesarean sections. My son did not clear the fluid out of his lungs and had low blood sugar at birth. He was in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for a week. He is two and has showed developmental delays in his physical activities, rolling over, walking, etc. and talking. He drinks much more than my other children and is very tired for a toddler. There is no type 1 diabetes in our families, but several people have type 2, including me. What are the sign of type 1 diabetes? Should I be concerned? Are children that are born to type 2 diabetic moms more prone to having type 1 diabetes?

As far as we know, at present, children of those with type 2 diabetes are not at high risk for developing type 1 diabetes. They obviously carry some genetic predisposition for type 2 diabetes and particularly, if overweight, would have a higher risk for type 2. You should discuss your specific situation not only with your own diabetologist but also with your children's pediatrician or family physician.

[Editor's comment: For information on the symptoms of type 1 diabetes, see Symptoms of Diabetes. BH]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Genetics and Heredity