From Yonkers, New York, USA:

My breath has a fruity smell and I realize it is something called acetone and could mean I have ketones in my body. My urine also has a strong smell. I called the doctor and he wants me to test my blood sugar at night and give him a urine sample. If this is the case, what remedy is there? I am newly divorced and in love with a wonderful man who had the courage to tell me about my bad breath. Can this be fixed with medication? I am now on 1000 mg of Glucophage which I take at night. Will I need insulin?

The practice of good medicine needs to be carried out. If your sugars are high, they need to be treated and lowered. Ketones should not build up in your system normally. They can be caused by lack of food or poor blood sugar control, to name two causes. I hope you are checking your sugars and can provide your doctor with information about where your sugars are at now.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Type 2