From Indianapolis, Indiana, USA:

The summer before my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes he had problems with dry skin. He was only two and our climate is humid during the summer. Upon diagnosis, I asked several doctors if his dry skin was related and all of them said no there was no connection. Well, since then, I have read that it is not unusual to have dry skin prior to diagnosis because of extra water loss due to urination. My son just recently, I think, came completely out of his honeymoon stage because he started having a lot more highs and we had to raise his insulin quite a bit over a period of three weeks to get things back in target range. During this time, he developed dry cheeks with little reddish spots. When I asked his endocrinologist, she said it was not related and it was just dry skin. I have been using a high quality lotion, but the reddish spots are still there. Any ideas as to what this may be? Are there skin conditions to which diabetic children are more prone?

Dry skin is not a typical sign of diabetes. I would suggest talking to your pediatrician for ideas on treatment.