Question:

From Pasadena, Texas, USA:

My four year old son has been very thirsty, urinating more often, been very tired and taking naps, which he hasn't done in a very long time. When he would eat anything with sugar, he would complain about feeling sick. On several occasions, he has vomited and would seem to space out. So, I quit giving him sweets and made an appointment. They did not think it was necessary, but I asked for a glucose test. His fasting glucose was 96 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L]. I asked for a glucose tolerance test (GTT), but they do not think it is necessary.

I do not know what to do. I just do not feel comfortable with what they are telling me and am very concerned that there is problem or it could turn into one. I am very concerned about my son's health. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer:

If the fasting blood sugar level of your son was 96 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L], it is very unlikely he might have diabetes. To be sure to rule out definitively the diagnosis of diabetes, you should double check his fasting blood sugar level and check his urine for sugar as well.

[Editor's comment: For more information, please read our page on The Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. Keep in mind that the diagnosis of diabetes is based on a laboratory measured blood glucose. BH]