Question:

From San Jose, California, USA:

I just turned 16 yesterday. I have had diabetes for six years and had seizures in September and June. I was also in DKA last November, which had me in the PICU for a week. I got my learner's permit in May and am able to get my license today, but my doctor took away my driving privileges since my last seizure.

How will this affect my getting my license? Do you know much about the DMV and how they handle diabetics and driving?

Presently, I am in really great control with barely any lows. My A1c is 6.7, the lowest it has been in the past six years. We asked my doctor and he really didn't know too much about it since he usually deals with the younger children.

Answer:

The best person to talk to this about is Lisa Murdock, the ADA Legislative Advocacy expert in Sacramento. Her e-mail is lmurdock@diabetes.org.

HVS