From Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA:

My husband is 37 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just over 5 years ago. Prior to his diagnosis, he had his tonsils and adenoids out (years before) and had several vaccines, including yellow fever, months before.

We have two children, ages 2 and 4. My 4 year old daughter is supposed to have her tonsils and adenoids out. I am looking for information/studies that may connect type 1 diabetes with the surgery. It makes sense that if diabetes is triggered by a virus, removing lymph tissue that fights viruses may not be such a great idea. We are also very careful about vaccinating our children with respect to the types and timing.

My husband and I are both scientists and have not been able to find any connection between the two, neither has our doctors, but they are never aware current research or studies. Do you have any information about this connection?

There is no information linking tonsil and adenoid surgery with the onset of type 1 diabetes. Information about the linkage of vaccinations with type 1 diabetes has now been conclusively studied and the most recent information was published just this past year and negative. Previous data was inconclusive or suggested some weak correlations, but there was probably some bias in the study involved. The latest data is better done and should give you some reassurance. It is far more important to prevent measles, mumps, polio, hepatitis, etc. than the very weak link(s) or nonexistent link with vaccinations.

Posted to Research: Causes and Prevention and Other