Question:

From Illinois, USA:

I have just realized that for the last two months, my son's meter was not coded properly with a new number. What kind of results would the meter have given me? At his recent visit to his doctor, his A1c was 11.2, up from 9.0. Could this have been the reason for his elevated blood sugars?

Answer:

Blood glucose values may be inaccurate when the strip code does not match the meter’s code. This may have been a factor in your child’s deteriorating A1c. However, when his A1c moved from a 9.0% to an 11.2%, his average blood glucose moved from 240 mg/dl [13.3 mmol/L] to over 310 mg/dl [17.2 mmol/L]. I would explore other factors in his life that may be contributing to the high blood glucose, such as stress, physical growth and development (puberty hormones), not enough insulin (needs a dose change or not taking all his doses), etc.

BS

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Other