From Amarillo, Texas, USA:

My son is 11, a month shy of being 12, and has had type 1 diabetes for five years now. He is on an insulin pump. His blood sugars are all over the place, normally around 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Could this be due to adolescence? He normally stays on a pre-set carbohydrate limit, but refuses to eat anything good for him. He eats no vegetables or fruits, etc. He is in junior high school and when I let him buy his lunch at school, he always gets a hamburger, fries and a snack cake. He thinks he should be able to have sweets everyday. I am at a loss as for what to do about his eating habits. When I cook at home, I provide vegetables, but he will not eat them. I am afraid he is going to run himself into an early grave.

I understand your concern as a mother but, hopefully, as time progresses and his food palate expands, your son will work fresh fruits and vegetables into his meals. Most young adults his age sometimes get into a "food rut, " especially with the somewhat limited healthy food selections at most schools. Although an insulin pump allows for more flexibility with carbohydrate distributions during the day, it is still important to balance healthier food options (fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads, low fat milk, low fat yogurts, beans, legumes, etc) with occasional smaller amounts of sweets and higher fat food options (i.e. hamburgers, fries, snack cakes). The onset of adolescence can and usually does cause higher blood sugars temporarily. If your son can balance the food intake with healthier food options, then your physician may need to recommend higher basal rates to counteract the hormones produced during puberty.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Other