Question:

From Helena, Montana, USA:

I have read a few articles lately about vitamin D and its possible association with diabetes. My daughter with diabetes appears to be nearing the end of her honeymoon. Our younger daughter has not shown signs of diabetes. We are considering giving each one a daily vitamin D supplement of 400 IU. Do you think this may be an approach which may provide some additional protectiveness?

Answer:

Not likely. You should discuss this with your diabetes team since they know your child best. They could also advice you about availability of antibody testing for your other child.