From Tampa, Florida, USA:

I am 24 years old and have been type one diabetic for 12 years. I would like to become pregnant very soon, but would really like to know some more specifics before doing so. Can you tell me about what type of diet I should follow and what the risks are, etc.?

If you peruse the Pregnancy list of questions on this web site you will find this topic covered in some detail already. In a nutshell, with proper management you should do well during a pregnancy. There are some key factors. You should come into a pregnancy already with good glucose control, with a hemoglobin A1c as close to normal as possible. This may require some adjustment of your diet (specifics can be obtained from a nutritionist as recommended by your endocrinologist) and adjustment of your insulin dosing. Your risk for problems in the pregnancy can reduced if you do not have any secondary medical complications from diabetes such as hypertension or kidney damage. Ask your doctor to prescribe a folate supplement (5 mg/day) and start taking this at least a month before trying to conceive. This may help to reduce the risk for spina bifida in the baby. Once again, with good glucose control the risk of fetal abnormalities should be significantly reduced. Your pregnancy should be managed by physicians experienced with diabetes and pregnancy.

Posted to Pregnancy