From Fayetteville, West Virginia, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 18 years. During the end of my first pregnancy, my hemoglobin A1c was 4.0. My general doctor told me that was too low. My gynecologist told me that was a great level. My daughter is now an 18 month old who is very healthy. If I would become pregnant again, should I strive to have my A1c level that low?

To minimize the risks of diabetes to a developing baby, I always encourage a mother to start a pregnancy with her hemoglobin A1c in the normal range. You certainly achieved that with your first pregnancy. As long as you are not having hypoglycemic events, then it is probably fine to continue with your current management of your diabetes.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Pregnancy