Question:

From San Diego, California, USA:

What could possibly be the cause of the following? If I eat 100 grams of carbohydrates that does not have sugar listed as the ingredient, foods such as potatoes, pasta, and bread, my blood sugar is less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] two hours after eating. On the other hand, if I eat 40 grams of carbohydrates that does have sugar listed as the ingredient, such as a regular Coca Cola, my blood sugar is greater than 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] two hours after eating. It seems like pancreas is programmed improperly and is highly sensitive to the words sugar but not to the words carbs, although I am sure my pancreas cannot read the labels of the foods I am eating. Any thoughts or advice? I am stumped.

Answer:

I have learned to "never say never" when it comes to carbohydrates and blood sugar excursions. Consider yourself fortunate that you can tolerate all those yummy starchy vegetables; many people with diabetes can't. At the same time, you have learned that you cannot tolerate sucrose so it is best for you to avoid it. You win some, you lose some! And by the way, congratulations on figuring all that out.

JS

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Type 2