Question:

From Manchester, England:

I have just been diagnosed with diabetes by my doctor who is going to refer me to a diabetic clinic. How soon do they need to see you after being diagnosed? Is it days, weeks, or months? My fasting glucose reading was 13.7 mmol/L [247 mg/dl].

Answer:

It is always best to begin treating the high blood sugars because it makes the patients feel better (less frequent urination, weight loss, blurring of vision). There is not a specific number of days until something terrible happens. Hopefully, your primary physician could get you started with some basic issues like monitoring and initial therapy so that things can be getting better before you get to the diabetes clinic. If possible, you could even call the diabetes clinic to see what can be done before you arrive for your first visit.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2