Question:

From Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA:

According to the pediatrician, my child is having a lot of sinus infections. He had a blood test for several things, including leukemia. The results indicated my child may have diabetes. He had a sucker on the way to the doctor's office. Could this have affected the test? The doctor wants to do the test again. What should my next step be? What specialists do I need to see?

Answer:

I would follow the advice of a board-certified pediatrician. Your pediatrician will be able to direct you to the appropriate resources and will be able to determine any proper testing that is required to diagnose diabetes. Having a sucker on the way to the doctor's office should have no effect on the testing.