Question:

From Chesterfield, Michigan, USA:

My son is soon to be six years old and has behavioral problems that are unexplained. He is normally a very nice, calm boy with a very good attention span. If he goes a small period of time, two hours or so, he will have terrible meltdowns that include fighting, yelling, crying and complaints of headaches. He can be doing something he loves and all of a sudden have an outburst. I have first cousins with type 1 diabetes and my mother and sister had type 2, I believe. My mother found out about her situation at about 60 and my sister is obese. Is it possible that my son's rants are sugar related? An empty stomach seams to be our only answer to his actions. He has never had an episode in kindergarten but has a mid-morning snack each day.

Answer:

It isn't likely diabetes. Maybe he does get "hungry" or a bit hypoglycemic at the time of the spells. Try feeding him and see what happens. If it really gets bad, you might ask your pediatrician to let you test some blood sugars at home.

[Editor's comment: Also read about the Symptoms of Diabetes. BH]