From California, USA:

Why exactly are diabetics prone to infection? Is it because of a higher white blood cell count?

Also, I'm interested in getting liposuction in the future, but I've seen that it's contraindicated for diabetics? Is this just for type 2 diabetics or all of us? I have type 1.

Infections are more common in people with diabetes for a number of reasons. However, the most important idea to communicate is that the better the sugar control, the less the risk. When glucose levels get above 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], it causes dysfunction within the white blood cells that kill the bacteria. In addition, complications from the diabetes may cause decreased blood flow to an area and neuropathy may not give you as early a warning in the presence of a minor infection that could get worse.

Liposuction is not indicated for patients where the blood sugar could be high enough to impede healing and it also raises the risk of infection.