Question:

From Palatine, Illinois, USA:

My good friend, a guy, is 17. He has type 1 diabetes, and has had it since third grade, I think. He's going through puberty, has acne, facial hair, pubic hair, and his voice has deepened. But, his penis seems to have missed puberty, and, from what he says, it's the same size as he was when he was a little kid and he's very subconscious about it. Is this normal? Does it have anything to do with his diabetes? Will he be in this situation for the rest of his life? Is it possible he won't mature in that area? And, what is the age that will distinguish that he is done with puberty?

Answer:

While puberty can be delayed by very poor diabetes control, the actual mechanics are not affected, so, diabetes has nothing to do with penis size. This of course varies anyway from person to person. Whether your friend is within normal limits or has a particular problem can only be determined by an endocrinologist.