From India:

My friend, age 44, weight 95 kilograms (209 pounds), is a mild diabetic taking metformin, an obesity oriented drug which is also for diabetes. Due to seldom and occasional failure he has started sildenafil (Viagra type), half of the 25 mg. He gets excellent erection without any side effect for about 10 hours with only 12.5 mg of the Viagra type drug. But, he is afraid. How long will he need the pill? Will it be harmful in the future? Will it make his diabetes more difficult to control? Will he have liver damage? In short, what are the long-term effects of using Viagra?

Viagra has not been used for ten years. I am not sure there is any data on secondary failure of the drug. The new generation of erectile dysfunction drugs seem to also be very potent. I do not feel there is a strong reason to suspect secondary failure is likely. It is interesting he needs such a small dose. Also, the effect seems to work for longer than that described. An interesting question is, "Does he really need the drug?" It is a thought. This may be an area where placebo effect may count for considerable effect.