Question:

From Toronto, Canada:

My son had preventive tritherapy at the age of two years old. He doesn't have AIDS today maybe because of the tritherapy, but might it be possible that he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of six because he took the AIDS medication at two years old?

Answer:

To my knowledge, there is no link between AIDS therapy and type 1 diabetes. I have also researched the published literature and I have not found anything interesting. Yours could be a sporadic case, or, it is possible we do not have enough experience.

AS

Additional comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

There is no data available on this subject. These two rare events are too rare to do a correlation.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Research: Causes and Prevention