Question:

From Celebration, Florida, USA:

I am planning a trip to France, Switzerland, England, and Italy this summer for my family, which includes my 10 year old son who has type 1 diabetes. I would like to know in advance who to contact or where to get good care for him in each place we are visiting in case we should need it. Do you know how I can get this information?

Answer:

I'm afraid that all of these countries are quite large and services will vary depending upon where you are. The only sensible advice is to ensure that you have sufficient supplies and if you have a problem, contact the local hospital. It goes without saying that you should ensure that your insurance company knows about your son and that you have appropriate coverage.

Additional comments from Dr. Marco Songini:

As far as Italy is concerned, pediatric diabetes teams are generally available in most of the principal cities whilst diabetes clinics are present in most hospitals of the country. All medical services in Italy are freely covered by the National Health Service.

Posted to Traveling