From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

Once in a while, I will get a low that causes a severe reaction in my taste buds. I will find my blood sugar at 45 to 65 mg/dl [2.5 to 3.6 mmol/L] and when I try to correct it with a snack, everything I try tastes only of baking soda. The taste is so strong it has caused me to become nauseous before. It lasts for an hour.

I've experienced many bad lows in the 20 to 30 mg/dl [1.1 to 1.7 mmol/L] range and I have never seized. I guess I'm really wondering if this strange phenomenon is some kind of mild seizure. I've heard warning signs of a seizure can sometimes take the form of a strange taste or smell. So, naturally, I am worried.

This may just be the case. Prior to the seizure, people can have smells or other visual senses and are called auras. You need to work with your physician to prevent lows and use additional means to do so. This is a serious thing. It is just as important as intensive control of high sugars, maybe even more important.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other