From St. Petersburg, Florida, USA:

We recently relocated and need to find a doctor. I have the American Medical Association locater web site, but is there a better way to search for pediatricians/endocrinologists who work with diabetic children? How do I check their licenses for any disciplinary action?

If you're looking for a pediatric endocrinologist, the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society (LWPES) web site allows you to search by city and/or state. In order to be a member of the society, one must meet the following criteria:

1. Two years of formal fellowship in pediatric endocrinology or metabolism.

2. Continued interest, activity and contribution in the field for one or more years.

3. Applicants with formal fellowship training in fields other than pediatric endocrinology and metabolism must have two years of postdoctoral training and four years of continued research in areas relevant to pediatric endocrinology and metabolism.

4. Two letters of recommendation from active members of the Society.

5. Two publications in a peer reviewed journal or certified in Pediatric Endocrinology.