Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from January 2005

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Due to lows, we usually reduce our daughter's insulin when she exercises.. What should we do when she goes skiing next week? (30 Jan 2005)

2. Would my stepdaughter have lower blood sugars if we reduced the amount of sugar in her diet? Would walking help lower her blood sugars? Is there a quick way to reduce her blood sugars without giving extra insulin? (30 Jan 2005)

3. Does diabetes severely affect your immune system? (30 Jan 2005)

4. My son recently had a stomach flu, then needed less insulin. Now, he needs higher correction doses to combat nighttime highs. Is this common following the flu? (30 Jan 2005)

5. I have type 1.5 and take NovoLog. My two hour postprandial readings are often high. Is this common with NovoLog? (30 Jan 2005)

6. Is my daughter's extreme fatigue caused by her low blood pressure? Is there something else we should consider? She has had type 1 for about two years. (30 Jan 2005)

7. What is your opinion of diluted insulin? Is it typical for a two year old to be very high one day, then lower the next, all with the same routine? Also, should she be seen by a pediatric endocrinologist? (30 Jan 2005)

8. Do people with type 1 diabetes have a higher risk of getting rheumatoid arthritis? I am concerned about the joint pain my daughter has. (30 Jan 2005)

9. I take Humalog Mix 75/25 before breakfast and dinner. How can I get more flexibility with respect to the time I can eat lunch? (30 Jan 2005)

10. What are some of the risks that could occur when a child does not take care of their diabetes properly? What could happen to the child? Could it even kill? (30 Jan 2005)

11. My boyfriend was looking at my meter and saw a "low" reading that I don't remember. How could I have no recollection of this "low?" (30 Jan 2005)

12. I was recently diagnosed with type 2. Where can I learn more about meal planning? (30 Jan 2005)

13. Tests show I'm GAD antibody positive and below the line on insulin production so I am LADA. Is this a correct interpretation of the results? (30 Jan 2005)

14. My friend's granddaughter had a high blood sugar and headache. The ER gave her fluids and she died. What should the parents do to make sure this doesn't happen to their other daughter? (30 Jan 2005)

15. I have type 2 and my meter will say "ketones" when I am high. What do I do to bring down my blood sugar? (30 Jan 2005)

16. We are considering switching from NPH/Humalog to Lantus to avoid lows at 3 p.m. and 3 a.m. and since my son is tired of all the snacking. What differences can I expect with the change? (30 Jan 2005)

17. My son has polyglandular syndrome and has gained weight. The doctor wants to add metformin to his medications. How do we adjust his basal and bolus rates when he's on the metformin? (29 Jan 2005)

18. My brother, who was diagnosed with type 1 in 1982, died during open heart surgery in 2002. His blood vessels were too fragile. Could this have been caused by the occasional hypoglycemia he had over the years? (29 Jan 2005)

19. Is there a magazine to which I can subscribe to find easy meals and snacks for my husband? He has type 2. (29 Jan 2005)

20. My daughter, who has type 1, was recently diagnosed as bipolar. She did well on lithium, but was taken off it since it can cause kidney damage. Is there a way to handle the damage if she resumes lithium? Is there a test for kidney disease? (28 Jan 2005)

21. Since my daughter is on an antibiotic, should I give her acidophilus would help give her some "good" bacteria? Would it alter her blood sugars? Are antibiotics harmful to other body systems since diabetics have a suppressed immune system? (28 Jan 2005)

22. After 26 years with diabetes, I have had several complications. Recently, I have had chronic pain and poor blood sugar control. Is it possible for chronic pain to cause erratic glucose levels? (28 Jan 2005)

23. I have type 1 and have been eating compulsively for three years. I don't like to go to doctors, so what can I do on my own? How can I combat the compulsivity and the huge amounts of carbohydrates I crave? How can I cut down the insulin I use? (28 Jan 2005)

24. Every time her blood sugar is above 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L], my daughter's hands break out in a rash and hurt. Is this related to her diabetes or something else? (28 Jan 2005)

25. My daughter was showing some of the symptoms of diabetes so I checked her blood sugar with my sister's meter; she was 170 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L] after six hours without food. Should she get a more complete test? (28 Jan 2005)

26. I've had type 1 for 24 years. I feel I have a psychological problem because I keep my blood sugars too low, taking too much insulin for meals. Should I meet with a psychologist or a dietary counselor for help? (28 Jan 2005)

27. I have been checking my blood sugar up to 50 times a day, paranoid about being low. I have anxiety problems, too. Is this hormones or something else? (28 Jan 2005)

28. I have type 2 and have stopped taking metformin and Avandia because of unusual side effects. Is the tingling I have from the medications ot because I have better control? Should I start on insulin to help my body? (27 Jan 2005)

29. I have type 2 and get internal shakes. Can they be caused by high blood sugar? If so, can it be a serious effect of type 2 diabetes? (26 Jan 2005)

30. My endocrinologist has cleared me to have IVF next month. I was just diagnosed with type 1 in October. Is my 6.9 A1c safe for maintaining a healthy pregnancy? (26 Jan 2005)

31. Since her recent diagnosis, my three year old's behavior has become unacceptable. She says mean things and hits people. Is this common for children with diabetes? How should I handle it? (26 Jan 2005)

32. I've had diabetes for eight years. For over three years, I have had a variety of symptoms, including deep muscular pain, skin sensitivity, diarrhea, and fatigue. What could this be? (26 Jan 2005)

33. I have type 1 and am pregnant. I have retinopathy that worsened when I improved my control. Is it true that Lantus can aggravate it? Should I change insulins? Should I be induced, as my ophthalmologist has recommended? (25 Jan 2005)

34. Is it safe to say that one need not panic every time their child with diabetes vomits? (24 Jan 2005)

35. My daughter is taking injectable methotrexate or Etanercept and Hydroxychloroquine for rheumatoid arthritis. How will they interact with her diabetes? Are the two diseases going to fight for dominance? (24 Jan 2005)

36. Is there another way of taking insulin other than injections? (22 Jan 2005)

37. My one hour glucose test result was elevated so my doctor wants me to do the three hour test. I may decline the test because I did not feel well during the one hour test. Is there another option? What are the risks to me and my baby if I don't have the test? (22 Jan 2005)

38. What is the target fasting blood glucose level for a person diagnosed as type 1 or type 2 diabetic? (22 Jan 2005)

39. My toddler had a fever a week before his diagnosis with type 1. Is it possible that a virus could have settled in or around his pancreas? (22 Jan 2005)

40. My son is concerned about his lack of height, which has always been in the 5th percentile. If his diabetes has stunted his growth, is there any way to help him grow? (22 Jan 2005)

41. My recently diagnosed daughter is having high blood sugars. Is there a way to determine how much insulin to give to help bring her in range? Do we need to increase her Lantus or NovoRapid? (22 Jan 2005)

42. Since being diagnosed with an overactive thyroid, my daughter's health has deteriorated. Are the two illnesses complicating each other? (21 Jan 2005)

43. Is there any clinical data that links diabetes to cancer? (21 Jan 2005)

44. My daughter was recently diagnosed as hypothyroid with goiter. Is it reversible? Is it common for young children? Are there other autoimmune disorders for which she should be tested? (21 Jan 2005)

45. I received Rhogam shots for negative blood and my daughter, who is Rh positive, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Have there been any studies done or is there any correlation between Rh incompatibility and type 1 diabetes? (21 Jan 2005)

46. Can people with diabetes have children? (21 Jan 2005)

47. Have you encountered any research to indicate that steroids, such as cortisone, could cause type 1 diabetes? (21 Jan 2005)

48. Is there any way to affect the process by which the FDA approves devices through the pre-market approval process? We are interested in the status of the Freestyle Navigator. (21 Jan 2005)

49. Recently, I used my cousin's glucometer and my blood sugars were somewhat low. Since I'm often shaky and feel faint, my aunt said I might have hypoglycemia. Should I go see a doctor? (21 Jan 2005)

50. How common is it for siblings to have type 1 diabetes? I have two daughters who both have type 1. (21 Jan 2005)

51. Is there any way I could get a stem cell operation? (21 Jan 2005)

52. If I indicate on my drivers license form that I have diabetes, will it hurt my driving privileges? I take oral medications, not insulin. (21 Jan 2005)

53. My son was just diagnosed. He had high blood sugars at diagnosis, but continues to have low blood sugars. Do I have a valid concern about his diagnosis? (20 Jan 2005)

54. Despite large doses of insulin and oral medications, my sister has very high blood sugars and is losing weight. Is there anything she can do to bring down her glucose levels? (20 Jan 2005)

55. My blood sugars have been high since taking Niaspan. When should I see a significant decrease in my glucose levels after stopping the Niaspan? I have also had a little stress at work. (20 Jan 2005)

56. I've heard a lot about an "artificial pancreas"' that is being developed. Is there any hope for it being available in the near future? (20 Jan 2005)

57. Six years after taking Interferon Alfa, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Could the Interferon have caused the diabetes? (19 Jan 2005)

58. Can you help me figure out what type of diabetes I have? I am thin, have slightly elevated blood sugars and have found that insulin resistance drugs make my blood sugars go up, not down. (19 Jan 2005)

59. My 16 year old has had diabetes for 15 years. She has intense tingling and pain in her feet and legs. Could this be some form of neuropathy? The doctor says she's too young for complications and the pediatrician won't treat her. (17 Jan 2005)

60. At a recent doctor's visit, my three year old's blood sugar was 215 mg/dl [11.9 mmol/L]. The doctor sent her blood for antibody testing. Does she have type 1 or not? If not, why else would she have sugar in her urine? (17 Jan 2005)

61. When I received my 1.5 ml Humalog pen cartridges, a sticker was attached indicating Lilly is ceasing production of these cartridges. Can you confirm this information? (17 Jan 2005)

62. My son was diagnosed in October 2004. He is moody, angry, and sad. In recent years, we have moved from the U.S. to Italy, my father died, and my son was diagnosed. Is this an adjustment period? How can we help him? (17 Jan 2005)

63. Where can I find information about where to purchase the least expensive diabetes supplies? We exceeded our insurance plan's limit for our daughter in the first four months. (17 Jan 2005)

64. What is the status of research on a device that will monitor blood sugars continuously and alarm for highs and lows? (17 Jan 2005)

65. Since my 2003 pregnancy, I have been unable to lose weight. If I try a lower carb approach, will I be able to resume my "normal" diet after losing the weight? (17 Jan 2005)

66. Four months ago, my doctor suggested I increase my Humalog and Lantus, which I did. Over the past month, my blood sugars have been somewhat elevated despite new insulins and smaller portions. Why could this be? (17 Jan 2005)

67. My daughter has had diabetes for six years. She has developed white spots on all of her fingernails. Could this have anything to do with diabetes or should I be taking her to a dermatologist or other doctor? (17 Jan 2005)

68. What are the "normal" blood sugars for a child? Are my stepson's results serious? (16 Jan 2005)

69. Why would the average on my meter, the doctor's A1c and an at-home A1c differ with each other? What should I believe and base my own decisions on? (16 Jan 2005)

70. Our 39 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 about a year ago. He takes insulin and has high and low blood sugars. His doctor has put him on Glucophage, too. Isn't this for people with type 2? Will it harm him? What about the issue of lactic acid build-up? (16 Jan 2005)

71. I've had type 1 for 15 years. A recent blood test indicated I also have metabolic syndrome, which I thought was related to type 2. How is this possible? (14 Jan 2005)

72. Since my creatinine was 1.4 mg/dl, the doctors switched me from metformin to Avandia. Then, my A1c went up and they are considering insulin. Are there any alternatives? (14 Jan 2005)

73. I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Recently, my blood sugars have been slightly higher, my vision is poor and I am losing weight. How should I discuss this with my doctor? How do I get tested to see if I have type 1 or type 2? (14 Jan 2005)

74. We are Americans living in Italy and recently took our son to a local endocrinologist. Did we understand this information correctly based on his information upon diagnosis? (14 Jan 2005)

75. Can a diabetic produce a false positive for alcohol use? (12 Jan 2005)

76. My doctor wants to send me to physical therapy for a frozen shoulder. Does therapy always work or will my shoulder get better on its own? (12 Jan 2005)

77. Since my son's A1c has increased in the last year, I had a second "in office" test done and it was lower. Is it normal for that much variation between laboratories? Are the "office" tests accurate? (12 Jan 2005)

78. My doctor has prescribed Altace for protein in my urine. I took the risk assessment and it says I'm not a candidate for this drug. Should I take it anyway or is there a better medication to take? (11 Jan 2005)

79. I had a urine test at the doctor's was "off the chart" for glucose, but my blood sugars are in the normal range when I use my husband's glucose meter. Why is this? Why do I have so many yeast infections? I have Hashimoto's disease and am morbidly obese. (11 Jan 2005)

80. I have a child with diabetes and am pregnant again. Should I bank the cord blood? Are there any studies in which I should participate? (11 Jan 2005)

81. Why don't more adults used the Insuflon? Is the catheter inserted at a greater depth than a needle? Could I use it for short acting insulin while using syringes for Lantus? (11 Jan 2005)

82. I have a child diagnosed at the age of nine months. How long would you recommend I breast feed a new baby? Is there anything else I can do, such as avoiding certain foods? (11 Jan 2005)

83. What are the long-term consequences that diabetes will have on the life of my granddaughter, diagnosed at age two? What might happen to her at school since Ontario schools provide little support? (11 Jan 2005)

84. I've had type 2 for about a year, lost a lot of weight, and have become very health conscious. How should I train for a half marathon as a diabetic? Might I experience hypoglycemia? (11 Jan 2005)

85. Does the honeymoon period end quickly or gradually? My son suddenly needed a lot more insulin and I suspect his honeymoon has ended. (11 Jan 2005)

86. I have been having recurrent sharp pain in my kidney or stomach area when my blood sugar is high. The doctor suspects an ulcer. If so, why would I have pain in the kidney area? (11 Jan 2005)

87. My three year old's doctor has given us a target range of 100 to 200 mg/dl [5.6 to 11.1 mmol/L]. Is it okay to be higher than this, so as not to impair cognitive development? (11 Jan 2005)

88. My son was diagnosed with type 1 in early October 2004, but he longer needs insulin to maintain "normal" blood sugars. Does he really have diabetes? Should we travel to South Africa to find a diabetes specialist? (10 Jan 2005)

89. My son has type 1, celiac, and hypothyroidism. His blood sugar average is high, but he often goes low at night after his Lantus. We are awaiting the results of his test for Addison's disease. Could he still be in his honeymoon? (10 Jan 2005)

90. Last night, I accidentally gave myself my Lantus dose twice. I was up all night testing and drinking juice. What should I do if this happens again? (9 Jan 2005)

91. My grandmother has been diagnosed with diabetes and takes oral medication. Is it okay for her to consume alcohol sugar? (9 Jan 2005)

92. What happens when insulin is "old?" Does it become poisonous or just lose its effectiveness? How long after the date on the bottle does this happen? How can a person tell? (9 Jan 2005)

93. My feet feel like they are burning. Why is this? What can I do about it? (9 Jan 2005)

94. Is the 14-day average on my glucometer a rough indicator of what my A1c will be? (9 Jan 2005)

95. What are the advantages between the different brands of insulin pumps? Is the Deltec most popular with kids? (9 Jan 2005)

96. After treating my son's low blood sugar with maple syrup, I waited ten minutes to re-check him. At that time, he was jerking, but conscious and unable to speak. Is this typical of a hypoglycemic seizure? (9 Jan 2005)

97. Do you know of any side effects to hormones or ovaries when using glargine (Lantus) insulin once daily and four fast acting injections? Can this cause a delay in puberty? (9 Jan 2005)

98. I have run 50K races and a marathon this year, reducing my NPH, delaying my Humalog and eating 50g carbs per hour. Is there anything else I should do to run a 50 mile race? (8 Jan 2005)

99. Why does a person with diabetes need to stay hydrated? What happens if they are not? I want to have a water bottle at my cash register, but my employer wants me to use the fountain. (8 Jan 2005)

100. I am caring for a two week infant who is HIV exposed with neonatal diabetes. Glycemic control is poor. Why? (7 Jan 2005)

101. I have type 1 and am seven weeks pregnant. I have a cyst in my abdomen that needs to be removed surgically. What is the risk to the fetus? How will I control my blood sugars during the surgery? (6 Jan 2005)

102. I'm currently taking NPH for gestational diabetes. My doctor wants me to increase my NPH to lower my fasting blood sugar. Why do I need fasting blood sugars? Why can't I eat nuts during the night instead? (6 Jan 2005)

103. My son's blood sugar goes up when he takes amoxicilin chewable tablets. Do they have more sugar than the liquid? In the future, should I ask the doctor to give him adult-type penicillin that he can swallow? (6 Jan 2005)

104. During a stomach virus, my daughter's blood sugar was in range, then soared on the eighth day. Is this the end of her "honeymoon?" What else may have caused this? (6 Jan 2005)

105. Is phenylalanine safe for my wife during her pregnancy? (5 Jan 2005)

106. My husband, who has type 2, developed lumps in his legs during two trips to the U.S. Stockings do not help. What do you recommend? (5 Jan 2005)

107. My father has type 2 and was recently diagnosed with jaundice. What treatment/regimen should he follow as he cannot use the high carbohydrate diet normally recommended to patients of jaundice? (5 Jan 2005)

108. My son takes NovoRapid for meals at five hour intervals, NPH at 9 p.m. His blood sugars are often high three and a half hours after meals. Are we testing too soon or is this expected? (4 Jan 2005)

109. During an ER visit for abdominal pain, my daughter had an enlarged kidney and was full of stool. Can this cause or lead to kidney failure? (4 Jan 2005)

110. After 15 years with diabetes, I am planning to conceive. I use Humulin N and Humalog. What other insulins should I use during my pregnancy? (4 Jan 2005)

111. Years ago, I was diagnosed with acute hypoglycemia. During my recent pregnancy, my GTT results were unusual. Given my results, Could I have gestational diabetes? (4 Jan 2005)

112. Is it safe for a person with diabetes, in good control, to get a pierced nose? My A1c is 6.5. I eat well and exercise daily. (4 Jan 2005)

113. After a fasting glucose test, my son was diagnosed with type 1 in August 2004. He has changed his diet and does not take insulin. A November A1c was 3.9. Does he have type 1 or type 2? (4 Jan 2005)

114. Where can I find term life insurance for my daughter? (3 Jan 2005)

115. The stem cells in my son's cord blood are supposedly usuable, even though the sample has been contaminated. Do you have any experience with this? (3 Jan 2005)

116. Given my infants test results, can you confirm that she has Transient Neonatal Diabetes Mellitus rather than type 1? (1 Jan 2005)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts