Question:

From Lanark, Ilinois, USA:

Do you know where I can find term life insurance for my daughter? I have called all the insurance numbers in my phone book and got turned down. Even my own insurance company turned her down. Is there anyone who has type 1 diabetes who has life insurance?

Answer:

I think the problem is not that your daughter has diabetes, but her age. Assuming she is actually under the age of 18, few companies are willing to insure the lives of children/teenagers on policies taken by their parents. It makes them too attractive a target for foul play. Actuarial tables show that teenagers are not very likely to die from illness but are more likely to die by accident or homicide. When your daughter is over the age of 18, she will be able to obtain term life insurance through an employer or other group risk policy.

DSH

Posted to Insurance/Costs