From Bradenton, Florida, USA:

I am 24 years old and I have had diabetes for 15 years. I am planning to have children with my husband in the near future. I have been using Humulin N and Humalog for almost six years now. My A1c levels have always been between 6.5 and 8.2. I can handle my diabetes quite well with these insulins, but I do think that I should use something else besides the Humalog during and/or before the pregnancy. Could you tell me which other insulins could be the most similar to this fast-acting insulin and have already been tested during the pregnancy? I am a little bit concerned about the possibility of using a pump.

There is not another type of insulin that is as fast-acting as Humalog. So far, all the available data suggests that Humalog is safe during pregnancy. I have had many patients on pumps who do quite well.

Posted to Insulin and Pregnancy