Question:

From El Paso, Texas, USA:

I recently took my daughter to the Emergency Room (ER) for abdominal pain. She woke up pale and in a lot of pain. I took her to school because she had this pain before and usually got over it within an hour or two after I left work and took her to the pediatrician. Within an hour of getting to work, the nurse called and advised me that my daughter was feeling ill and looked pale. I picked her up and took her to the ER. She had an ultrasound and an x-ray done. The doctor told me that she has an enlarged kidney and that she was full of stool in her back area. I would like to know if this can eventually cause or actually lead to kidney failure? I would also like to know what we should look forward to with this. She does have an appointment with her pediatrician next week to refer her to a specialist. If possible, I would like to receive an answer for this before then. I would appreciate any answer, even if it is after the appointment.

Answer:

Your best advice needs to come from your pediatrician who can do a complete history and physical examination and review the testing that has been done already.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Other