Question:

From Flagstaff, Arizona, USA:

For about four months now, I've been having pains in my kidney and stomach region. I went to the doctor and he said there's nothing wrong or, I might have an ulcer. If that is true, then why does it hurt in my kidney areas? It happens when my blood sugar is high. The pain is sharp and almost unbearable.

Answer:

It is difficult to answer your question without more information or an examination. Perhaps you need a general check-up. For instance, you state you have a pain in the "stomach". Is it truly, verified STOMACH pain or is it pain the abdomen? Since you have two kidneys, what do you mean in hurts "in the kidney"? I'd presume you mean in the mid-back or flank areas.

There are multiple reasons to have various pains, and some, due to the nerve supplies, will project that pain elsewhere. This is called "referred pain." As an example, gall bladder pain sometimes is referred to the right shoulder area!

People with diabetes, especially poorly controlled diabetes, can have increased calcium in the urine and this can lead to an early kidney stone. Intestinal ulcer disease or similar conditions are not uncommon in diabetes. Other intestinal considerations to cause abdominal pain might include celiac disease. Even the adrenal gland condition called Addison disease could potentially manifest as abdominal pain.

If your diabetes specialist does not believe that your discomfort is diabetes related, then, see your general pediatrician or family practice physician but, keep asking for explanations.

Posted to Aches and Pains