From Lumberton, New Jersey, USA:

My four year old was diagnosed with type 1 at nine months old. How long would you recommend I breast feed a new baby? When should solids/other foods be introduced? Is there anything else that can be done to potentially lower the new sibling's chances of developing diabetes, such as avoiding any particular foods?

Breast feeding provides potential protection, but not absolute protection, for other siblings presumably by avoiding cow-milk antigens. Most recomemndations are for exclusive breast feeding for as long as possible but, nobody knows scientifically how long this should be. Six months would be good, I presume, and 12 months, ideal. Also, avoiding wheat products in one German study also seemed to offer some protection presumably by avoiding wheat/gluten; see Delayed exposure to wheat and barley proteins reduces diabetes incidence in non-obese diabetic mice.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity and Other