Question:

From Lumberton, New Jersey, USA:

My four year old was diagnosed with type 1 at nine months old. How long would you recommend I breast feed a new baby? When should solids/other foods be introduced? Is there anything else that can be done to potentially lower the new sibling's chances of developing diabetes, such as avoiding any particular foods?

Answer:

Breast feeding provides potential protection, but not absolute protection, for other siblings presumably by avoiding cow-milk antigens. Most recomemndations are for exclusive breast feeding for as long as possible but, nobody knows scientifically how long this should be. Six months would be good, I presume, and 12 months, ideal. Also, avoiding wheat products in one German study also seemed to offer some protection presumably by avoiding wheat/gluten; see Delayed exposure to wheat and barley proteins reduces diabetes incidence in non-obese diabetic mice.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity and Other