Question:

From Auckland, New Zealand:

I have been reading the questions about Insuflon. It seems to be mainly used for children. Is there a reason it isn't routinely used for adults? It sounds like a great idea, so, why isn't everyone using it? I have been injecting for 38 years and, now, my fatty tissue is hard and lumpy, making injections more difficult. Would using Insuflon be a benefit in this situation? Is the catheter inserted at a greater depth than a needle? I currently inject twice daily, but would like to try Lantus. Could I then use the Insuflon for the short acting? I know Lantus can't be mixed and am anxious to avoid a greater number of injections. Unfortunately, pumps are too expensive, where I live so this is not an option at present.

Answer:

The Insuflon is a proprietary device that allows for subcutaneous insulin to be delivered without having to give repeated needle sticks. The subcutaneous catheter can stay in place up to three days and allows the administration of rapid acting insulin. To some degree, it is an insulin pump setup without the pump. The reason long-acting insulins cannot be used in this manner is that by their very nature, long-acting insulin remain in the body because they slowly diffuse from the injection site. Since it is already being used for rapid-acting insulin, it cannot be used for both types of insulin.

I am not sure the Insuflon will help you to rid yourself of injections site problems. These will remain a problem when insulin is administered in the local sites. They are the result of repeated insulin injections in the past. The subcutaneous catheters have to maintain an anchor in the subcutaneous tissue in order to stay put. Because of that, they probably go in a bit further than an insulin injections. However, once in, they do allow you to use multiple times without sticking.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Insulin