From Oldwick, New Jersey, USA:

Recurring yeast infections led me to my gynecologist for answers. I am 45, had a radical hysterectomy at 40, take no hormone replacements due to family history of breast cancer, and have Hashimoto's (autoimmune disease of the thyroid), for which I take 100 mg of Levoxyl daily (blood is monitored every three months and dosage adjusted). I am morbidly obese, over 100 pounds overweight. My father was diagnosed with type 2, but not until age 75. My urine test in my doctor's office was "off the chart" for glucose, turning a dark brown. The doctor predicted certain diabetes, with a blood glucose level of at least 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L].

Using my husband's monitor at home, within 20 minutes of the check-up, revealed a reading of just 90 mg/dl [5.0 mmol/L]. My glucose levels in fasting blood tests over the past several months have ranged between 100 to 120 mg/dl [5.6 to 6.7 mmol/L]. I don't have diabetes, so why did I have the high urine test result and so many yeast infections? What other conditions might be cause this type of result?

First, you need to be sure the meter you are using is giving you accurate results. It would be best if your physician had you get a blood glucose fasting from the laboratory. If this is normal, you may want to consider an oral glucose tolerance test. With a history of yeast infections, your weight, and a family history of diabetes, I would have to really make sure you didn't have a problem before I would let my guard down.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2