Question:

From Daly City, California, USA:

My glycohemoglobin is 6.5 and 22.5 for protein. My doctor prescribed Altace, 2.5 mg/day. Is this medication appropriate for my condition? When I went to the Altace web site and took the personal risk assessment, it says I'm probably not a candidate for Altace. Should I still take the Altace anyway or is there a better medication to take? Your opinion is truly appreciated.

Answer:

Altace, along with the class of medications known as the ACE Inhibitors, is used for prevention of protein loss in the urine. ACE Inhibitors have been recommended on a prophylactic (preventative) basis for any individual who has diabetes. This is to decrease the risk of proteinuria (protein loss in the urine) and hopefully decrease the risk of kidney function.

Even if your glucoses are under strict and excellent control, the use of the ACE Inhibitors, such as Altace may be helpful. However, if you have low blood pressure, problems with potassium in the blood or previous reactions to this class of medications, then other treatments may be better.

I would discuss this with your physician.

ABS

Posted to Complications and Other